Photos

All images contained here have been registered by the US copyright office and are protected by US copyright laws. All rights reserved. Photos are not to be downloaded or reproduced in anyway without the written permission of NRoberts.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Can Waken (Sun Dance)

I drove out on to the range this day knowing Corona had a brand new filly in his band. A fellow photographer and fb friend had spotted her the day before and had posted some great photos of her.. I wanted to see the little filly who already had a name, Can Wakan (Sun Cloud). I was more then thrilled when I spotted Corona's band! She is something else! Super healthy and fresh! Her mom seems to feel a whole lot better too....this is a big, chunky filly! She will be a palomino like her sire, the magificant Corona. You can see in this photo the dam has lost her right eye. It has healed up nicely and she does just fine. Here she is with Cheyenne, the palomino pinto who will be her aunt. This whole band was looking and feeling good. Flirting across the desert. They seemed to show off their new foal and be on their way. Corona in the rear looking proud. That's Bobby, her full yearling brother (Sorry his head is down) He was paler then his sister when he was Can Wakan's age (about 1 week old). He is now the only colt in the band. Out of Corona's nine members, eight are either mares or fillies. Two of the mares, Lona, and the grey, Indian Rose, keep having the foals. The other 2 mares, the black (Em) and Cheyenne are not so prolific. Indian Rose is currently heavy with foal. Corona showing off Can Wakan. It looked like someone had been brushing his tail for hours. I wonder if the mares keep him looking like that? He is a bit of a glamour boy for sure! Welcome to Sand Wash Basin! I wish your future was more certain, but we are working on that! ...kicking up her heals..Wooo-hooo!! There's Bobby's face with Can's older sister, Maybell. A little shaggy still, but the mustangs are putting on weight fast...it is amazing when you see what they have to eat in this high desert basin... A modern day mestango. I feel so blessed some of the wild horses, like Corona, let us get a glimpse into their lives. Time stands still when I have these encounters. I have no idea how long they last. Maybe fifteen minutes? The horses direct the encounters. She really put on a show for us! I put my camera and binoculars down just so I could watch...so cute! This is where she feels most secure. It was nice to see the mare with a spring in her step. I seriously didn't know if she'd make it when I saw her about 8 days ago. She has bounced back in true mustang fashion. Goodbye untill next time!

2 comments:

SallyWright said...

HAHA She's so adorable! And I love the last photo that you posted here. It looks like she's dancing on top of Corona! :D

Linda Martin said...

Hhahaha. These are just great! Seriously we have a little glamor girl here. What a beauty!!